For those still not in the know, the second Fiesta Feminista is taking place on 25 to 27th November 2011 in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, in East Malaysia. From the website:
Fiesta Feminista is
- an initiative by the Joint Action Group for Gender Equality (JAG)
- a regular event that happens once every 3-4 years
- a process of learning about and advocating for issues of feminism, human rights, and democracy in Malaysia
- a platform for people of all classes, ages, ethnicities, beliefs, gender identities and sexual orientations, locations, and abilities
- a safe space where thinking out loud is respected and where people can engage each other on fair, equal, and non-violent terms
FF 2011 begins on the International Day Against Violence Against Women which also marks the start of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence (November 25-December 10). For more information about this global campaign, including how you can take part, please visit the campaign site.
I will be returning to Malaysia in November to attend Fiesta Feminista and will be reporting the event for Kakak Killjoy. Can’t wait!